Wednesday, February 11, 2004

I don't mean to imply that I am some all-knowing sage in the world of American Politics. I'm not. I'm just some kid in my mid-20's who's getiing married in a couple of months... Okay, I'm some young adult just hoping to get into graduate school so that I can try to help some people who otherwise wouldn't get the attention that they deserve. What I am having trouble understanding, is where is the consistency of thought in those who are making the major policy decisions in our nation. We decide that welfare is bad, so we get rid of that. We push most of those people into minimum wage jobs, but we refuse to raise the minimum wage such that these people are better off working for themselves. We don't offer any significant job training programs. What little we have, we scrap so that some people who owe their wealth and success, in no small degree, to the system can get a tax cut and opt out of the system that they used to their own personal advantage. How are we helping our workers prepare for the reality of a global economy. We eliminate their jobs. We send them to the lowest bidder. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if we would possibly increase training to those without so that we would have workers skilled enough to work the higher paying technician jobs and higher skilled manufacturing jobs that remain. I don't know is all that I'm trying to say. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home