Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Liberty Lunch. Really?

I thought that the Hank Melton reference was funny. I understood the Amy's Ice Cream part. I think the use of the Liberty Lunch name in Veronica Mars may be too much for my taste. That was an awesome venue that was torn down to make way for the beginning of the Warehouse District developments. (Perhaps it's ironic that I'm planning a post in support of the Warehouse District development.) I loved that place. I ended up with other people's blood on my clothes at that place. I understand the idea of this as an ode to Austin, but it seems inappropriate. I will say that this episode of Veronica Mars is better than the majority of the rest of season three.

3 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger mcnees said...

Hi: first time reader, first time commenter. Do you have any idea what the connection between Veronica Mars and Austin is? Liberty Lunch isn't the first Austin club/bar name they've used. My wife couldn't figure out why I started laughing a few episodes back when they referred to "Oil Can Harry's".

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Editor said...

The creator of the show grew up in San Marcos and I believe he went to UT. Neptune is actually loosely based on Westlake.

 
At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The further connection to Liberty Lunch on this episode is that the newscast footage of the old "My Pretty Pony" hit was actually set to the music of Cotton Mather's "Payday" (a band noted for Liberty Lunch appearances). Another detail: when Keith Mars and Desmond (the Paul Rudd character) debate the virtues of the Beatles, Piz points out that critics have often noted the influence of the Beatles on My Pretty Pony - somethings also frequently noted about Cotton Mather.

I hope Cotton Mather experienced a payday in connection with this episode.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home