Thursday, December 09, 2004

Globalrific

I'm currently working on a paper about the American social welfare policy implications of globalization. What I think is funny, is that while doing this I'm drinking English tea, grown in India, out of a cup from the Scottish Parliament. My favorite beers are Belhaven and Bass, both of the UK. My favorite food is authentic Mexican cuisine. I enjoy watching French movies, okay Audrey Tautou movies, with my wife. What is interesting is that we only think of economic globalization. We tend to disregard the exportation and importation of culture and ideas. Well, anti-globalization people do tend to focus on the American take-over in the world of culture, but they are as wrong about that as they are everything else. The point is, we are influenced here. What is so powerful about American culture is that we have managed to incorporate so many different cultures into one greater culture. That's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home