Thursday, December 15, 2005

A touch of football

There was an article in the Austin American Statesman the other day with which I strongly agree. Vince Young has been acting like a baby over not winning the Heisman. As a fan, I don't care about his personal awards. I care about the Rose Bowl. When Ricky Williams won, we fans had just experienced a 4-7 season the year before and we knew that there was no national championship possible. In addition to that, he was setting the rushing record. That stupid fat boy from Madison broke the record the next year, but still. I could have run behind the largest offensive line ever assembled. Anyway, my point is that if I have a hard time getting too concerned about the awards that a quarterback wins. He has some of the most talented players in the country around him, who get no credit for anything. On any other team, people would be talking about Jammal Charles, Selvin Young, Ramonce Taylor, and that offensive line, as one of the most dominant running back/offensive line combinations in recent history. They have three of the four best running backs in the Big XII. The defense is amazing. The special teams are amazing. Everybody says that they would be 8-3 without Vince. How do they figure? They probably would have won out on some of those quarterbacks that they've lost out on the past few years. I'm not sure that not getting Vince would have cost them that many top recruits. I don't think they'd be as good without him because of his apparent leadership ability, not to mention freakish skills. But, God put him on the earth to quarterback Texas, so it's really a moot point. In an effort to finish up this rambling post, it's not clear to me whether Vince Young is a once-in-a-lifetime player. He's very good, but I could picture another athletic quarterback coming along at some point in time that has his combination of ability, athleticism, confidence, etc. I don't see another Reggie Bush coming along in my lifetime. Every generation gets one great running back, and he may be ours. He's what Barry Sanders would have been like if Barry didn't lose yards on half his carries. In terms of college running backs in my lifetime, he's up there with Barry Sanders, Ricky Williams, Bo Jackson, and Herschel Walker.

1 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Administrator said...

I have to agree with your comments about Reggie Bush. I wondered what the hype was about until I watched the Fresno State game. The way he runs just doesn't look like other people. He doesn't really look like he's running. They had a highlight clip of him in high school at the NYTimes website for a while and it made me laugh to watch. He simply could not be tackled by high school kids and he was SO much faster than anyone else. It's tough to call it balance because he looks like he's always about to fall down, but he seems to have an inhuman ability to shift his weight around as he moves so he can always keep himself from going down. I have no problem with him winning the Heisman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home