Wednesday, June 08, 2005

today is the day

That's the title of a fine Yo La Tengo EP.

I've been offered a project assistantship with Professor Don Nichols for the next academic year. I was hoping that the Sentencing Commission would work out, but apparently the risk of being stuck with my tuition bill should the University fail to subsidize my assistantship was too much for the Commission. I may be able to work out a Limited Term Employment opportunity with the Sentencing Commission. I really liked the director when I met him. I don't really know Don Nichols other than he is the director of La Follette and a former Assistant Secretarty of Labor under Carter, I think. I also know that he didn't respond to my requests to meet with him last semester when I was writing a paper that covered one of his policy proposals. We'll see how that works out.

I got offered an unpaid position with the Wisconsin Challenge. It's basically a program designed to increase exercise participation in Wisconsin. We are a very fat state. I would be trying to design an interactive system where any Wisconsin resident could type in their address and a website would give them specific locations suitable for exercise within a reasonable distance from their address. This would be accompanied by mailings of maps of each town or county by the Chamber of Commerce which labeled free as well as pay exercise facilities and locations. The whole thing was my idea, so it makes sense that the current staff of two would like for me to do it.

The Shout Out Louds are great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home