Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Odds and ends from the Annex

Tonight Meredith and I headed over to the Annex to watch some live music. The first band was the Headlights. If you like Cat Power but wish her voice were smoother and her songs more upbeat, then you would truly enjoy the Headlights. I liked them just fine. They looked like a band and played their songs well. The mix was the standard shitty Annex mix job. The bass was too loud and the keyboards too soft. All in all, they were worth the $5. I then had a Team Riggs patented Madison sucks moment and got into a funk. It's difficult hating where I live, especially when things I really enjoy are the things that set me off, aka watching live music. Then Via Audio got on stage. I don't know what to say about them other than they were fun to watch. They sure as hell weren't fun to listen to. Their singer looks like she spends much more time worrying about how to look like the front person of a band than she does on how to sing her songs well. They had that magical train wreck quality. I sat there waiting for them to fall apart. They never did, but they sure got close. They had one really good song that sounded nothing like their other stuff. They introduced one song as a country song and then proceded to play a waltz. Do kids today not know what country music is? Shit man, this wasn't even a country waltz, it was just straight up waltz. This band was not worth any money, but fortunately there was no money left to be made up for. I consider the evening to have broken even and I got out of the house. Good times for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home