Sunday, April 08, 2007

Awesome

Happy Easter.

I saw Meet the Robinsons on Friday. It was entertaining enough, but I didn't like all of the Disney stuff added to it. The movie is based on a non-Disney picture book. I know Disney made the movie, so I shouldn't really complain. I didn't see it in 3-D because Mrs. LaBlog is creeped out by the idea of 3-D movies.

I decided to try and start a new family tradition for my very small family of two and made shrimp creole for our Good Friday dinner. It was really good. The kind of tradition that I can get behind.

I tried to get some traditional southern breakfast on Saturday, but we opted to sleep in. I don't think there are any all day breakfast places in Austin that can do a southern breakfast well. By souther breakfast I mean, eggs, hash browns, pork of some variety, and biscuits and gravy. Dan's has it early in the day. We tried to go to the Omeletry for brunch, but it was too crowded and too cold to wait outside. We then went to Magnolia, but there was no parking. I then came up with the brilliant idea of going to Las Manitas. It worked out perfectly. I got the Central American breakfast plate with bacon. The plate had eggs over easy, black beans, tortillas, salsa, and fried plantains. It was really good. Their coffee was really good too. Even better than the food, when I went to pay two very recognizable people walked in...Ira and Georgia from Yo La Tengo. They were in town to play a show at Stubbs' (which was canceled to do freezing temperatures and precipitation). I stood next to them and said nothing. Mrs. LaBlog looked to be having a heart attack. She claimed to be having a heart attack, so maybe she did in fact have a heart attack. For some context, a Yo La Tengo album was playing when we first said I love you. The same album was playing when I proposed. Our first dance at the wedding was to a song off of that same album. We also missed a Yo La Tengo show because while we were getting married in San Antonio, they were playing in Austin.

After the Yo La Tengo sighting, we went to Waterloo and spent all of our money on music. I'm really enjoying the Cribs. They're a post-punk band from the United Kingdom. They've got a little Pavement to them too. I like the other stuff we got, but I'm listening to that at the moment.

After spending money, we headed to Progress for yet more coffee and some intense jitters. It was good and at least one person who works there gives me the impression that she remembers us and likes us. I like it when people at restaurants like us. They owners of Ruby's will sit down and talk with us. Everyone at Habanero remembers us. In Madison, the people at Espresso Royale would always take time to talk with us and the waiters at Maharaja always smiled really big when we would walk in. We're loyal customers, we tip well, and we're polite. From my experience as a sandwich maker, I can say that service industry workers respond well to those things.

Now I'm waiting for my wife and her family to show up so that can eat our Easter Indian food. Yeah, conceptually that makes no sense to me. I won't complain because I have three hollow bunnies upon which to gorge myself and then promptly head into a glucose induced tailspin.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home