Saturday, May 26, 2007

Advise Me

As I wrote earlier this week, I am expecting to get a job offer from a state agency early in the upcoming week. At the same time, I have made it to the second interview stage for a position with the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities. I can't conceive of the CBPP being able to move fast enough that I could either know that they would be offering or not offering me a position by the time the state agency needed a decision from me. The job in Austin is a decent job and would give me decent experience for later in my career. The CBPP job would be very close to a dream job as I would be working for a prestigious group in my area of interest.

What, dear reader, would you do in my situation? Please advise me in comments, especially you readers who I don't know well. You too, Mark.

Update, somewhat in response to Mark: I want badly to get the job with the CBPP. Salary is no consideration in that. I got more excited about them calling me (an hour after receiving my resume no less) than I did about getting into grad school. The thing is that I only know how I feel about them. I don't know the level of their interest in me, other than they've called me and that they've talked to one of my former professors, with whom they have a good relationship. I do have a good amount of fear that if I don't try as hard as possible to get the CBPP job that I will regret it for a while. I'm about to be offered a job for which I applied because I felt confident that I could get it and was disillusioned that I would be able to find a job that I care about. It's something to think about.

2 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Well, it's a tough call. On the one hand, you know how I feel about the differences between the sun-drenched paradise of the south versus the god-forsaken hellish frozen landscape of the north (my own enlightened beacon of freedom of a city excepted), so there's that.

On the other hand, it's a matter of "progressive taxation organization, dedicated to the welfare and betterment of all mankind" versus "the corrupt, morally damned Texas penal system."

Hell, I dunno. I've heard that D.C. both sucks and rules, so I can't really say much about that. Why not take the Texas job until you find out from the D.C. folks, and then just quit if you get it?

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Editor said...

I agree that Austin is probably a much better city in a much better region than DC, but there's not much good work here. If offered at about the same time as the Austin job, I would take the CBPP job without any hesitation. As it stands, I've done one phone interview with the CBPP and I've been told that I will officially be offered a job with the TJPC in the next few days. I would have a hard time sacrificing a salary and health insurance for the possibility that some group in DC may hire me after two more rounds of interviews. The health insurance thing is big since I have had some health problems in the past and I'm nearing one year without insurance. As the wife said earlier tonight, I've done stranger things than turn down a job after a long period of unemployment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home