Saturday, February 26, 2005

I don't understand it

I was just reading the Austin American Statesmen's sport section and noticed that UT running back Selvin Young is on academic probation and is taking classes at ACC this spring. While maybe it's not unusual for a college football player's grades to slip during the season, what they demand of those kids to generate some revenue is a bit intense, I'm not sure that I understand how a kid who was hurt and sat out the entire season can use that as an excuse. Sure, my minor was sport and exercise psychology, so I'm well aware of the negative effects of not participating on highly trained athletes, but I had lots of bad shit happen when I was an undergrad and I made it through okay. I didn't have the benefit of a team of tutors whose sole responsibility is to see that I do well in skill. It's a shame that the kid couldn't make the most of his situation and focus on his classwork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home