Monday, February 14, 2005

So, well, hmmm

I guess you could say that posting has been relatively sparse lately. Once in about two months is nothing if not sparse. I have an advisor now. Strangely enough, his wife is my boss at my internship. This means that one couple controls my destiny. I'm working on my first stats assignment of the year, and it's not going terribly well. I'm struggling with SAS. Sure, I got an A in AP Computer Science in high school, but clearly none of what I may have learned still resides in my brain. That's what years of social science and sandwiches will do to a man. How do you test factors that mediate a kids perception of the chance that they will graduate high school by the age of twenty, or that they will graduate college by age 30 if you can't get the stupid program to let you create a variable that will turn that into a dummy variable. Beyond that, the project is going swimmingly. Wednesday is the day that my policy analysis professor begins what he calls pop-briefings. He randomly selects some students and makes them give a five minute briefing on their analysis project which is immediately followed by a five minute question and answer period. I get to study ways to reduce the property tax burden on low-income and elderly Wisconsinites. Thanks to Kevin, I can be sure to not propose caps. I guess I could really thank Florida or California for making that clear. I think Colorado is trying to make sure that I understand the failure that is capping. I appreciate each state's assistance in my research. Don Nichols has a good proposal. I'm not going into it now, but maybe later...you know, when I'm feeling saucy. For now, I have an exam in the morrow as well as an education article to produce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home