Saturday, April 30, 2005

Slowly losing it

I'm working out a PowerPoint presentation for my social welfare policy class. I have to get it done by Monday evening. I'm losing my mind researching state tax policy and social spending in Texas and Wisconsin. The big surprise...Wisconsin is vastly superior to Texas in both spending and taxing as it relates to the poor residents of those states. I know, it's a big shock that the state with a state income tax would be able to better afford social spending and at the same time maintain a tax structure that isn't overly burdensome to its poorest residents. Don't get me wrong, they both rely on property taxes too much. Wisconsin certainly isn't perfect. Also, neither state really provides a lot of support for poor individuals without children. I guess that's just a bias of the system. Fortunately, both states are moving in a more regressive direction, which I think is something that everyone could get behind. Why shouldn't those poor people who actually use social services have to pay for them? When will we realize that rich people and business owners have never taken advantage of any state provided services? They don't use roads or the power grid. They sure as hell hire workers who were educated at unsubsidized, private christian skills, not products of public education. I bet you didn't know that most corporations refuse all efforts by the legislature to toss money and other perks at them. Yeah, those wealthy people sure do have it rough. They don't use the police to protect them. They buy their gas at fair market prices, thank you very much. They don't even take mortgage decuctions or child care credits. Those poor bastards. Almost makes me feel sorry for them.

Good thing ELO just came on. I needed some calming down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home