Sunday, March 05, 2006

Destroyer - Notorious Lightning and Other Works

It's been snowing all day. They said that we'd get 1-3 inches, but that changed sometime during the middle of the day and now we're supposed to get close to 5 inches.

It was a good day at the record store yesterday. We bought new stuff from Broadcast, Destroyer, Eef Barzelay, and Wolf Parade. All four albums are good stuff.

Meredith is making cookies and later, I'll be making pork tenderloin and macaroni & cheese.

I own this story, so I'm going to throw it out there: On the night of my college graduation in May of 2001, my Jeep Cherokee was stolen. I lived in a sketchy apartment complex that was basically the end of the college student neighborhoods on Austin's east side and the beginning of some relatively poor neighborhoods. There had been a few things stolen or damaged in our time there. Some bikes were stolen and my tires were slashed. The complex manager tried to evict us for not paying rent two weeks early. The landlord didn't fix broken things. We had a small fire as a result of the not fixing things. Anyway, my car, with my cap and gown, was stolen. In East Austin, someone was driving around in a white Jeep Cherokee with Arkansas plates and a giant Weezer sticker. There was an Arkansas flag plate on the front of the car. In short, it had some fairly distinct markings, but motor vehicle theft is not a priority anywhere. Fast forward to a month later, someone from the Austin Fire Department calls me and asks if I had reported a Jeep stolen. I say yes and he tells me that they've found my car. Exactly one month later, my car was found in the middle of the golf course across the street from my apartment. It was in flames. Kevin and I went to the wrecker lot to look at it and it was a sad sight. It was a heart braking moment. Now, I share a Honda Civic with my wife. It's a nice car. I'll always miss you, Jose Blanco, king of kings.

1 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Administrator said...

It still surprises me just how low to the ground a Cherokee body is when the suspension is blown because of the fire. It seemed to be about 4 feet tall. Sad, indeed. We could still read the licenses plate. The same license plate you had reported to APD. I remember the police seemed to think you must have had an arch enemy who stole your car and lit it on fire for revenge. That basically sums up how seriously they took the whole thing. In fairness to them, there were probably unarmed minorities in East Austin who needed shooting. That's time consuming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home