Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Home Again...or something like that

After a nice train ride, complete with long delays due to a bridge being out, it's nice to be somewhere that isn't moving constantly. Unfortunately, we are in the process of making our home as uncomfortable as possible right now. Anybody who's known me for more than two years recognizes that the thing in this world that I hate the most is packing. I can load a truck better than most people, but putting things into boxes is the type of repetitive crap that I hate. The truck gets loaded on Sunday which means that the boxes need to be filled now. We've made good progress. I really want it to be over.

We met a nice guy on the train. He used to be the City Editor of the Austin Chronicle and now is a Political Consultant for TateAustin Consulting. He gave me his card, so I'll see if he has any leads.

I'm applying for a job that will in many ways make me a professional blogger. It wouldn't be the brilliant prose that my regular readers have come to adore. It would be Texas Tax blogging, which is something that I would love to do. The job is an outreach coordinator position at the Center for Public Policy Priorities down in Austin. The primary role of this position is to attempt to sell sound budget and tax policy to voters and politicians in Texas. This means selling a state income tax. I'm stubborn enough that I may enjoy the constant frustration that would come with a job like that.

I got emailed a job listing in Atlanta yesterday. It sounds like a job that I would love, so Mrs. LaBlog told me to apply for it anyway. I think she recognizes my nervousness about moving so close to people that we, or more specifically she is related to. (I feel like there were many grammatical errors in that last sentence.) I have had at least 8 hours between my family and myself since 1997 and I like that. There aren't people who I enjoy seeing more than my parents. I think that some of that may be because of the physical distance between us. Mrs. LaBlog's relatives started actually being civil to us once we moved 1,300 miles away from them, granted that took a confrontation and some tears. I'm nervous, but I'm also excited.

Onward.

1 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just because you're close doesn't mean you have to see them. you're still an hour and a half away, and you've just moved back to town. getting settled into your new place and spending as much time as possible with the pregnant ones before they move to Houston should buy y'all a couple months, by which time hopefully her relatives will have been trained to not expect y'all to jump down at the drop of a hat. good luck with the packing. I hate that too, and I really want to move this summer, so I'm facing quite a bit of it myself. say hi to the missus for me. talk to you later, Erin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home