Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ash - Cosmic Debris (album 2)

I went to class today. It was pretty uneventful. I'm now pretty far along in my back pain marathon. I really feel like I'm accomplishing something here. Also, I've learned that fake tylenol makes me feel a bit off. Maybe real tylenol does as well.

This may get me run out of Wisconsin, and let's face it, that's not a problem for me, but I think Brett Favre is my least favorite player in the NFL. That's right, below TO and all the other loudmouths. Favre publicly interfered with his teammates contract business last year. That involvement has made Javon Walker very unpopular in this state despite him being one of the finest citizens on the team. The thing that bugs me is that Favre called Walker out on a threat to hold out in order to get a contract that pays him fair market value. Favre preached about honoring your contract and taking care of the team, but he's the same asshole who holds the franchise hostage each year while he decides if he wants to grace the Packers with his presence. Well fuck him. He's a has-been who can't be effective unless a coach is riding his ass to play within the offense. Watch a Packers game and listen to the announcers talk about how tough and competitive he is while he's throwing his 3 or 4 interceptions. If he were younger, they'd be criticizing him for his reckless play. He's like a slightly more mobile Drew Bledsoe, albeit with more emotion. I'm tired of hearing about him. He should retire and get into the hall-of-fame on the first ballot as one of the 2 or 3 most overrated players of the modern era. I should say that I agree with Matt Yglesias that most overrated things are typically really good but somewhat exagerated. I think the Beatles are incredibly overrated, but that's only because I think the Velvet Underground and the Kinks are very nearly as good. I feel weird calling the best rock band of all time overrated, but there it is. Elvis is overrated in a different way. He was never any better than his contemporaries. He just marketed himself incredibly well. He may actually be underrated as a pr man.

I wore a short-sleeve shirt today. I ended up putting a sweatshirt on over it. It never did warm up like they said it would.

4 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Administrator said...

Truth to power my friend. I liked Favre so much once upon a time, but the Walker thing really did piss me off. The reality of NFL economics and the non-guaranteed contracts makes it perfectly reasonable to hold out for market value in my mind. The man has become an embarrassment to his sport and his team. John Elway may be a terrifyingly creepy Republican, and he might have run Dan Reeves out of town, but at least he didn't hang around long past his effective playing days. He was a useful contributor to a team built around running. Favre still needs to be the hero and throw lots of long TDs, instead we get intereceptions that you can see before the ball leaves his hands.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Editor said...

John Elway is a really interesting career trajectory. He started off as the shining example of a sports prima donna when he refused to play for the Colts. He then became the guy for a franchise. It's strange to think about now, but as much as he was the reason that the Broncos would be good, he was also the reason you knew that they could never win the Super Bowl. It's very much like Mike Vick today. At some point, they gave Elway a running back, not a past-his-prime Tony Dorsett, but a young and talented running back. Elway redefined his role on the team. He wasn't going to be the reason they couldn't quite get over the hump. He won two Super Bowls and ended as the MVP with one of the better games by a quarterback in Super Bowl history. Now he's a sure first ballot hall of fame player. His legacy will be all of those clutch drives and not the horrible Super Bowl losses. He's a quarterback who matured and calmed down. He's just about the opposite of Brett Favre. I'm pretty sure a political discussion with either of them would make my head explode. Lynn Swann could get in on that conversation, although I don't think he has any opinions on anything.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Administrator said...

Lynn Swan is really pathetic. He misunderstands basic points of law, and that is just inexcusable. I don't expect people to grasp complicated and nuanced issues, but he thought overturning Roe v. Wade would instantly make all abortions illegal in this country. Not so much.

And yeah, he has no opinions at all. I'm embarrassed for him when he gets interviewed because he comes across not just as vacuous, but as truly stupid. I never thought he was a genius based on his sideline reporting, but I didn't think he was an idiot either. Now I think he might really be less than intelligent. If he actually is intelligent, he needs to fire his campaign people because he looks terrible out there. I suppose he thought this would be an easy win because of who he is. He should talk to not-the-governor-of-Oklahoma Steve Largent about that.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree with most, but you're giving elvis too much credit. he couldn't follow any plan unless it was about how to get some tail and a sandwich. Col. Tom Parker is underrated as a PR man. talk to you later, EKG.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home