Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A sure thing

If one thing is guaranteed to make me feel better about things, it's going to see Eef Barzelay for free. Meredith's boss got us free tickets to his show at Cafe Montmartre tonight. It was really nice His music makes me depressed in a really beautiful and hopeful way, if that makes any sense. I think that maybe Kevin can relate to all of the associations that I have with Clem Snide. It was a rough time when I first started listening to them. I only went to their show at the Continental Club because I couldn't handle going to my apartment where my dumbass roommate was hanging out. That dude still owes me over a thousand dollars. I don't miss Eef or the band if I know that they'll be in town.

I think I'm going to take the train to Austin. It's a thirty hour train ride, but I love trains. I pay a little extra and I get a little tiny room with a bed. I love beds.

Things are fucked up right now, but I think they'll be better in a few weeks. I hope. I almost cried every time Eef sang the word "Texas" tonight. It's a strange attachment I have with the place of my baptism. It makes sense that I would have strong attachments to the place where my parents are from, where I met my wife, where I met my best friends, where my 871 partner spent some time. I'm prepared to move there and pay the extra rent here. Hell, if Erin can move to California, I can move back to Texas without a job. That's where I want to be. That's where I'm comfortable. That's home. I wish Erin still lived in Austiin and Kevin weren't moving though. That would make it even better.

I miss feeling at home.

4 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was wistfully and hopefully maudlin. Buck up. You need to drink more. Nothing chases away the blues like a depressant!

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Editor said...

It's possible that this post was inspired in part by the big bottle of Newcastle and the extra strong Cuba Libre.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww. miss y'all too. sometimes I wish I lived in Austin still. I might within about five years. If I'm not writing for a living by then I may be ready to say "screw you guys, I'm going home." as it is, last week's events made it clear to me what's important to me and it's all of my family, y'all included. I'm visiting every chance I get, so get your couch ready, bud. Kev's excited cause he gets to see both of us next month, but we won't be in Austin at the same time. d'oh! see you soon, EKG.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Administrator said...

That Clem Snide show was such an interesting moment. I had just dropped out of law school and made another relatively monumental (for me) decision. Methinks we should go back to the Continental Club sometime. We went there to see Jonathan Richman the week you started dating Meredith and I started dating Alycia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home