Thursday, April 20, 2006

Triumph

I had one of the stranger classroom experiences of my graduate school career today. I somehow ended up debating my professor about an article for about 30 minutes today. I kept telling her that I didn't agree with her and the class would laugh. She would then restate the exact same thing and I would again state why I didn't agree with her and the class would laugh again. This went on for a while until she decided to agree with me. My two sides were in full conflict during this episode. On the one hand, I would prefer to just listen to classroom discussions rather than participate in them (I accept that this makes me a bad grad student), and on the other hand, I can't stand to be told I'm wrong when I am sure that I am right. The stubborn side won out and I wasted half an hour. I hope that it was at least entertaining for my classmates. I also hope I didn't sound too rude or disrespectful towards the professor. The frustration was definitely leading in that direction. I won in the end, and that's what matters.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger tortcaesar said...

you fought the good fight and won! bringin' the heat to KH. no problem cuz otherwise we sit in uncomfortable silence until I say something stupid or that girl says something more stupid. all I want to do is use the word "paternalistic" at least once more before the semester ends...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home