Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Low Body Temperature Bias

People don't seem to realize that 98.6 degrees is the average core temperature and there is variation around that mean. I wouldn't expect much variation because the human body is fairly well honed machine, but there is some variation. If I were to have a temperature of 98.6, that would be a fairly significant fever. My normal temperature is 97.1, so having an average temperature would be 1.5 degrees above my norm and the equivalent of 100.1 in the average person. I bring this up now because my temperature has been 98.6 for the past few days while I've been sick. Mrs. LaBlog encourages me to check my temperature regularly if I am not feeling well. She is my wife, which means I do as I'm told. This always bugged me when I was in elementary school and they had a stupid rule that you had to have a fever to go home. I think it had to be a temperature of something like 99.6 which for me is fairly significant. I never got to go home when I was sick. If I go to see a doctor when I'm sick they always ask me if I have chills. It's stupid.

This may be the most pointless post that I have ever written.

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Criss said...

This is not pointless, because I have always had a lower body temp - 97.3...I used to get sent home BECAUSE my temp was below normal. Go figure =)

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Administrator said...

Mrs. Underground's normal temp is about 97.6. Hope you're feeling better. I have finished law school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home