Sunday, April 17, 2005

An expensive proposition

I'm working on my policy analysis project right now. I'm hoping to get it done before next weekend so that I can focus on my statistics project and on my social welfare project. Anyway, I have to look at various approaches to reducing the property tax burden on low-income Wisconsin homeowners. The alternative that I'm going to recommend would cost the state something like $277 million a year. Really, it wouldn't cost nearly that much over the long-term as $160 million of that is low-interest loans to homeowners that will be paid back, but I don't think that policy makers like to think about the long-term. In the short-term, this would result in about 110,000 Wisconsin homeowners having to pay nothing towards their property taxes until such time as they die or sell the home. That seems like a good deal for the homeowner, but a bad deal for their kids. Oh well, such is life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home