Friday, February 03, 2006

Michael Jackson - Thriller

I dare someone to name a better album. There wouldn't be modern hip-hop without this album. It is amazing.

I just heard little bit of gossip. I'm told that the LBJ School is getting by much more on its reputation than on the quality of its works. Perhaps that's why three professors there directed me to Madison. Or, maybe they just didn't like me. Anyway, I'm told that there are serious problems with the program in Austin.

Update: Just to put this in context, this information came about during a meeting in which I was trying to figure out with whom in Austin I should get in contact about jobs. I made the statement that I hope whomever hires values the diversity of educational background that I can offer.

Update II: I edited some of this post because it was personal gossip. I've left the institutional gossip.

4 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger tortcaesar said...

doesn't get much better than old school MJ.

I applied to LBJ and considered going there, but wasn't too impressed with the program and the students I encountered during my visit. Anecdotal evidence, yes, but it seems to corroborate what you've heard.

During an April (ie late in year, 2nd semester! - think of what we were doing in 873 then) micro class, none of the students could answer simple questions about supply-demand analysis. I almost raised my hand -- this was BEFORE I went to grad school! Plus the law school is too big - 500 in a class, instead of 280 like here. And I don't want to live in Texas. I've had enough of that for one lifetime already, though Austin would have been fun.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Administrator said...

The LBJ kids in my Modern American Political Campaigns class are completely unimpressive. They are all come across as annoying, stereotypical, "debate" show-style Republicans and Democrats. This may not be the fairest class to judge them since it is a campaign class, but they just seem shallow to me.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Editor said...

I haven't had nearly enough Austin. That's why I got some names of consultants and others in Austin who might be hiring tax analysts.

My experience with the LBJ School was that the students didn't seem to have a better understanding of issues after half a semester than I did without any time in the class. This was in a defense policy class taught by the former supreme allied commander of NATO and I knew more about their books than they did. It was strange. I also got a bad feeling from visiting with a few students. Again, several professors told me that I should go to La Follette because it is a more acadmenic style program where LBJ is job training. Maybe that's why Texas has such bad analysts. I don't know. My experience suggests that some schools get by on reputation more than others. Some schools, like the Goldman School and UCLA, exceed their reputations. I think La Follette is probably better than its reputation, although I honestly have no clue what that reputation is. I know we seem to have a reputation as being a very cooperative group of students compared to law schools and other policy programs.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Administrator said...

Yeah, law students, or at least UT law students, are not known for being cooperative. I was a bit ashamed of some fellow law students whose first question to our TA was whether the class was graded on the law school curve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home